August 30, 2010

Turn Game Meat Into Chew Treats

Are you shocked by the prices for dried, meat chew treats at your local pet or feed store? Have exorbitant prices caused you to bypass these 100% natural, no preservative, protein packed snacks for your trusty four legged hunting companion? Do recall scares from dog treats made in China scare the begeezes out of you? Do you still have a freezer full of game such as venison, duck, pheasant, quail, etc from last season? If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions I have the perfect remedy. It will save on your wallet and better yet, your dog will love you even more for making him or her some seriously tasty morsels right in your very own kitchen!

Open Country 500watt Food Dehydrator

The more research I did, the more confident I became that I could actually make homemade dried treats for my dog. I purchased an Open Country 500watt dehydrator machine from Gander Mountain for $149.99. Even at such a low price this particular dehydrator received rave reviews from customers who were more than satisfied with their purchase. I must admit, I am no gourmet chef and far from making any earth shattering culinary delights. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could easily make some pretty darn good chew treats. A wagging tail, a puddle of drool, and a lip smacking good time from my dog was proof positive that my first attempt was a success. Come to find out I can now make something that even my human friends say is tasty! Drying meat is very hands off and not very labor intensive. I cut and load the meat before bedtime. Let the dehydrator run all night and then(depending on the batch) it is usually ready by mid morning. The base and trays are dishwasher safe so clean up is hassle free! Drying meat is not rocket science but does involve some trail and error.

Lessons I have learned along the way:
  • Choose lean meats or trim away all excess fat/cartilage. Fat can go rancid quickly.
  • Cut all pieces the same size. 1/4" width by 4-6" long is perfect.
  • Place meat in freezer for an hour before cutting. This makes slicing much easier.
  • Check your drying process every few hours.
  • Different types meats and environmental factors can vary the drying time. Keep a log book of successful batches for future reference
  • If using oily meats, pat drying pieces with paper towel every two hours to remove excess.
  • To make VERY chewy jerky(for dogs) cut the meat with the grain.
  • To make LESS chewy jerky(for humans) cut across/against the grain.
  • Allow the jerky to cool and air dry for 2-3 more hours before packaging
  • If drying wild game or poultry, FIRST cook in oven for 30 minutes at minimum 160 degrees to kill possible salmonella or other bacteria.
  • Always prepare and dry meats in a clean, sterile environment.
The process of drying meat is a fun and economical way to produce healthy treats for both you and your dog. Meat is not your only option as sweet potatoes are just one of the hundreds of fruits and vegetables that can dried to make healthy, natural treats that your faithful gun dog can enjoy. The best part of dried foods is they are easy to make and even easier to pack for extended hunting trips. Owning a dehydrator has now emptied my freezer and saved a ton of game meat from prolonged freezer burn. In turn, I have already saved hundreds of dollars on dog chews and Dewey could not be happier! Better yet, I can honestly say that all of my homemade dog treats are "tested on humans" first! Have fun experimenting with your own dehydrator. I just wish I had taken the time to try this years ago!
Please feel free to comment on this post below or drop me an email directly at northupland@yahoo.com. I will personally respond to all your questions or comments. Thank you for reading.
Best of luck out there. -Mark

1 comment:

  1. When I orginally wrote this post I started with a 350watt dehydrator. I have since moved up to the now above mentioned 500watt model because it has a timer and overall quicker drying time. The Open Country 350watt is still a great model to start off with! -Mark

    ReplyDelete